Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Late to the Game With Insults

I know its months too late to be submitting my review of the new Indian Jones movie but I finally got around to seeing it the other night and I feel as though it requires some type of comment.

First of all I have to say that for some reason when it comes to movies, I defend and fight for movies that are mediocre quite often. On occasion I will have friends sitting around bashing a movie to pieces and I try to jump in and defend it a bit. This happens even if I myself was not too fond of the film. I guess I just think that most movies have a target audience in mind and I didn't fit it. This doens't make the film a disaster, just that it wasn't for me. I'm used to not loving movies but its very rare that I hate them.

This new iteration of Indiana Jones was not meant for anyone. It will go down in history as one of the worst movies I have even seen. After long discussions with my friends, I came to the decision that I hate the movie because I hate George Lucas. When Steven Spielberg makes movies they are typically great. Wonderful, believable characters, engaging plot and satisfying resolution.

I have never been a Star Wars fan but I do appreciate what it has done for blockbuster movies. I must hate them because I hate Lucas. The things that made Star Wars legendary and memorable I think should be credited to special effects geniuses etc. The heroes journey existed before Star Wars and Lucas didn't bring anything new to the table there. Its strength lies in it's execution which again I feel had little to do with Lucas himself.

Anyway suffice to say Kingdom of the Crystal Skull put an undeserved tarnish on Spielberg's largely amazing catalog of movies, and the final nail in the mental coffin I have created for George Lucas. He is now dead to me which means that adorable cameos from CG animals, poor storytelling, and poorly crafted genre overlapping will hopefully be a little easier for me to dodge in the future.

Rant over.


No comments: